Few artists have the power to create an indelible impact on the minds of their audiences through their art form and one such name in the world of Kathak is Shambhavi Dandekar.
Shambhavi Dandekar as an accomplished Indian Kathak master performer, has carved a niche for herself through her sheer talent, unique performances and unparelled choreography, that has brought her recognition on the national as well as the international platforms.Educational Background
As a young dancer, Shambhavi started her training under the able guidance of her own mother and renowned Guru Pandita Maneesha Sathe, a celebrated dancer and a teacher in her own right.Shambhavi then went on to complete her intense training in ‘laya and tala’ or rhythm and beats from Table virtuoso “Taalyogi” Pandit Suresh Talwalkar.
Along with her top-notch traditional dance training, Shambhavi also has a strong academic educational background with a Bachelors in Commerce and two Masters degrees in Dance. Furthermore, she also holds Diplomas both in French and Sanskrit.Teaching Experience
Shambhavi has more than 20 years of teaching experience at an undergraduate and a graduate level at various dance education institutions in India.
She has also started her own international school of dance in 2008, called ‘Shambhavi’s International School of Kathak’ or SISK. SISK is a prominent and a thriving international institution with five branches in India and the United States of America with over 400 students and a staff of 15 teachers who are trained by Shambhavi herself.
SISK has produced many a talented student over the years. Shambhavi’s years of experience, intellectual understanding and analysis of the nuances of the art form, has helped her create stellar performers out of her dedicated students. Many of her students are emerging as budding Kathak professionals. Shambhavi guides performers and students all over the world through workshops and master classes.Awards and Achievements
Shambhavi Dandekar for many years now has mesmerized audiences all over the world through her enthralling performances. She has received great appreciation from critics, connoisseurs and audiences from around the world. Some of her accomplishments include:
- Drive East Arts Festival Performance in New York City which earned a wonderful review in the New York Times.
- She is a proud recipient of ‘Pu La Deshpande Youth Award’ in 2012
- Some prestigious Indian titles awarded to her are – ‘Singaar Mani’, ‘Nritya Ratna’, ‘Bharatashree’ and ‘Kala Teertha’.
- She is a member of the International Dance Council of UNESCO.
- She has performed in Japan, China, Bahrain, Muscat, Canada, Australia and Singapore.
- She has performed her special dance productions such as ‘Nritya Sangam’ and 'Strings n Beats' to name a few, in more than 60 cities in US.
Shambhavi truly embodies the qualities of a passionate and a devoted Kathak dancer. She is a celebrated artist who takes Kathak to experiments within the boundaries of kathak….
Shambhavi is internationally recognized as a prolific performer, versatile choreographer and successful teacher (Guru).
Kathak: Pandita Maneesha Sathe - Guru and mother
Advanced training in Indian Rhythm (Laya-Tala) - Padmashree Taalyogi Pt. Suresh Talwalkar
Vocal music: Guru Mangala Vaidya
- Masters in Performing Arts ( University of Pune)
- Nritya Alankar (M.A.) ( Gandharva Mahavidyalaya) Ranked first in the country (India)
- Bachelor of Commerce (University of Pune)
- Diploma in French ( Alliance Francaise de Poona)
- Diploma in Sanskrit ( Tilak Maharashtra Vidyapeeth)
- Awarded ‘Pu La Deshpande Youth Award’ for achievement in the field of dance in ‘Pulotsava’ a festival dedicated to music and literature, organized in memory of great Marathi writer and playwright Pu La Deshpande
- Awarded ‘Bharatashree’ (BartEaI) at ‘Bharatotsava’, national dance festival organized at Hubli, Karnataka
- Awarded ‘Nritya Ratna’ at the hands of Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra State, India
- Singaarmani award by Sur Singar Samsad
- Recipient of National Scholarship for Dance by Govt. of India
- Empanelled with Indian Council for Cultural relations
- Member: International Dance Council of UNESCO
- ‘A’ grade artiste of DoorDarshan- National TV channel of India
- 4 commercial DVDs in International market: Kathak, Nritya Sangam, Pravaahee, TaNaPiHiNiPaJa
- USA, Canada, Bahrain, Muscat, Singapore, Australia, China, Japan
- Conducts annual workshops in USA and Canada since 2008
- Interviews and performances aired on TV and Radio Channels in India as well as in USA, Australia, Japan and Singapore
- Trustee: Maneesha Nrityalaya Kathak Dance Institute, Pune, India
- Faculty (Guru): Center for Performing Arts, University of Pune, India
- Faculty (Guru): Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University’s Center for Performing Arts, Pune, India
- Committee member: Tilak Mahrashtra Vidyapeeth, Dance Dept., Pune, India
- Examiner: Gandharva Mahavidyalaya’s post graduate exam panel, Mumbai, India
- Founder, Director: Shambhavi’s International School of Kathak : Has five branches in India and USA with over 400 students and a staff of 15 teachers trained by Shambhavi
After 20 years of vibrant career in India, Shambhavi has now moved her base to USA. She lives in Mountain View, California with her husband and son and aspires to spread the beautiful art of Kathak in the western world.
1031 Azalea Drive, Sunnyvale,
870/2A, Rasik, Bhandarkar Road,
Pune 411004, India